Please apply directly on our job board HERE
We are seeking a self-motivated Jr. Linux Administrator to join our growing IT/HPC department and help us build and expand our Linux footprint and HPC clusters. The successful candidate will be responsible for the majority of regularly scheduled operational maintenance of the clusters, as assigned by the HPC Systems Manager and Senior HPC Architect. This is a tremendous opportunity to help scale a cutting edge HPC and Machine Learning environment with a friendly team and a high-impact department that works with transparency. We expect you to learn new things with us every day, join us in sharing what you know, and advance your career development through our provision of extensive training, mentorship and multi-disciplinary projects.
To ensure Terramera’s IT/HPC Linux infrastructure is secure, up-to-date, and scalable across the company, while contributing to the sustainability of the overall IT/HPC strategy.
Reporting to the HPC Systems Manager, the Jr. Linux System Administrator collaborates closely with all members of the team on reoccurring weekly maintenance, one-off requests, and project planning, implementation and testing. This is not a 100% remote position, although remote work will be available regularly. Additionally, the Jr. Linux Admin will work with members of the IT, Machine Learning and Software business units to complete tasks and collaborate on projects.
- Serve as first line of support for Linux related issues for the engineering teams and in our data center
- Set up and maintain Linux installations for Software, Engineering, Machine Learning, Robotics, IT, HPC, and Computational Chemistry
- Pro-actively monitor cluster services for performance issues, address any problems with the team, propose action to take and own that process
- Assist in maintaining system security by identifying faults and vulnerable areas, address any problems with the team, propose action to take and own that process
- Identify areas where efficiency can be improved through automation, propose solutions and tools to use to the team, and implement those solutions once approved
- Manage workload in Jira following department standards for ticket workflow and documentation
- Maintain all scripts and images – ensure repositories are clean, up to date, and backed up
- Provide Linux installs, upgrades, and ongoing maintenance on hardware from Raspberry Pis to HPC clusters
- Maintain OS, kernel and software package versioning and upgrade cycle
- Provide LAN/WAN IP network provisioning and connectivity troubleshooting
- Responsible for server hardware health checks, upgrades, associated repairs, and warranty correspondence
- Monitor storage capacity and devices – provide reports to the team and predict needed solutions before they become problems
- Perform new server provisioning in the data center going from a server in a box to a racked, networked, labeled, and documented system online and ready for software
- Monitor and manage all backups of Linux systems, including validation and warehousing
- Manage and troubleshoot dataflow between storage tiers, both on-site and in the cloud
- Certificate or Associates degree in IT/Computer Science with an emphasis on Linux, or equivalent experience
- Experience with enterprise grade hardware and related maintenance
- Solid understanding of the Linux file system
- Basic scripting in bash – Python scripting is beneficial
- Solid fundamental understanding of LAN/WAN networking (DNS, DHCP, VLANs)
- Some experience working in a data center is an asset
- Hands-on experience with some of the following is required: CentOS/RHEL, Git, log management, IPMI/BMC, Active Directory authentication, LDAP, Mark-up/down, Jira/Confluence, rsync, gzip, scp, ssh, PKE, storage device management (LVM, SMART), Open-Source virtualization management, Linux security best practices
- Exposure to any of the following technologies is an asset: Orchestration software like Terraform; automation software like Ansible; Machine learning software like Pytorch or Tensorflow; Cloud platform technology like Azure; Cluster job management software like Slurm; Container run-time technology like Docker or Singularity; Container orchestration technology like Kubernetes, Nomad or Rancher; Distributed storage technology like Ceph or Luster; Infiniband networking; Database administration with software like Postgres; and any exposure to technology commonly used in HPC, Machine Leaning, or GIS development
QUALITIES WE’RE LOOKING FOR
- Strong organizational & planning skills
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to shifting priorities
- High attention to detail
- Proactive and creative approach
- Thoughtful communicator
- Reliable and follows through on commitments
- Ability to action effectively upon receiving feedback
- Willingness to experiment
Vancouver, BC, Canada
WHO WE ARE
Terramera is a cleantech leader focused on fusing AI, science and nature to create revolutionary technologies that transform how we grow food and solve other world-scale challenges. With its Actigate™ Targeted Performance technology and mission to unlock the intelligence in nature to ensure a world that thrives and provides for everyone, Terramera is committed to reducing global synthetic chemical loads in agriculture by 80%, increasing global farm productivity by 20%, and increasing soil organic carbon by 100% by 2030. The privately held company was founded in 2010 and has grown to include a world-class bench of engineers, scientists, advisors and investors. Terramera is headquartered in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, has integrated operations that include a research lab, greenhouse and farm, and has more than 250+ patents in its IP portfolio.
Our success begins with our people. We’re looking for A-Players who are passionate about making a difference as we are and thrive in environments that are dynamic, challenging and rewarding. Join our movement, as we set a new standard and change the world together as a highly dedicated, innovative, future-focused and solutions-oriented team.
Terramera is committed to a diverse workforce and we are an equal opportunity employer.
HOW TO APPLY
- Please apply directly on our website’s job board.
- Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis.